The Yuneec Q500 4K is a quadcopter that has everything you need and comes with a 4K camera. This drone is designed for both; beginners and semi-pros. It offers excellent quality and it is easy to use. Drones like the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K are paving the way for a low-cost revolution by delivering professional-quality video recording quadcopters that doesn’t cost much.
The Typhoon Q500 4K is a true modular video capture system with a professional camera on board. The drone is capable of shooting 4K video at a speed of 30 fps or Full HD (1080p) at a speed of 120 fps. With this model you get the 12 MP camera with high-quality resolution. The drone is equipped with a 3-axis gimbal, which helps to stabilize the image of the video that is captured during the flight.
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Review & FAQs
- Typhoon Q500 4K: Key Specs & Features
- What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Weight And Size?
- What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Flight Time?
- What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Flight Range?
- What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Battery Type?
- What Are The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 Flight Modes?
- About Yuneec Q500 Software
- What Type Of Motors Does Yuneec Q500 4K Have?
- About ST10 Controller Of Yuneec Typhoon Q500
- Yuneec Typhoon ST10 Firmware Updates
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 Parts
- Typhoon Q500 4K: ST10 Controller Reveiw
- Typhoon ST10 Controller
- Yuneec – ST10 Controller Specifications
- Typhoon Q500 4K: CGO3 Camera Review
- Yuneec Typhoon CGO3 Camera Specifications
- Typhoon CGO3 Video Specifications
- Typhoon CGO3 Camera Settings
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Video Quality
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Price & The Box
- Yuneec Q500 4K Value For Money & Guarantee
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Full Review
- Yuneec Q500 4K Features
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Design & Handling
- How to Prepare Typhoon Q500 For The Flight?
- How to Transport Typhoon Q500?
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Battery & Charging
- Technical Data and Details
- Yuneec Q500 4K: Similar Models & Main Competitors
- 1. DJI Phantom 3
- 2. X-Star Premium
- The Pros and Cons Of Typhoon Q500 4K
- Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Conclusion
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Review & FAQs
The Typhoon Q500 drone comes with a 4K camera, ST10 controller and the 3-axe gimbal that is providing long distance real-time picture. It has a 5.8 GHz digital link that is combined with an Android touch screen that gives great aerial photos and videos. This drone is RTF (Ready-to-Fly) model that is easy to use and it comes with an affordable price. Flight time is an impressive 25 minutes, with 5200mAh LiPo battery.
Typhoon Q500 4K: Key Specs & Features
In this article we have listed all features, informations and specifications on the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K quadcopter, CGO3 gimbal camera, the ST10 remote controller, Q500 motors and the pros and cons of this drone. Except for the technical features for this drone, we have attached 4k footage of Yuneec Q500, camera settings, box and price information.
What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Weight And Size?
The Yuneec Q500 weights is 3.8 lbs (1720 grams), while it’s dimensions are 16.5 x 16.5 x 8.3 inches (420 x 420 x 210 mm).
What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Flight Time?
The Yuneec Q500 flight time is about 25 minutes depending on the wind conditions, additional payload and the temperature. Q500 version comes in a package with two batteries, where you have in total 50 minutes of flight time. Additional battery price is $45.00
What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Flight Range?
The Yuneec Q500 transmission range is 2,624 feet (800 meters) in normal conditions according to the Yuneec documentation by FCC standards. Yuneec Typhoon Q500 Flight Distance.
What Is The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k Battery Type?
The Yuneec Q500 battery type is 5400 mAh 11.1V Lithium Polymer Battery (LiPo) 3-Cell /3S which gives the flight time of up to 25 minutes.
What Are The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 Flight Modes?
The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K offers several flight modes: Smart Mode (Watch Me & Follow Me), Angle Mode and Home Mode.
Smart Mode: In this mode, the “Headless Mode” is activated, which facilitates spatial orientation during piloting. Regardless of which side the drone is turned towards you, you can control it with the stick in a straight line (that is, if you press the stick to the right, the “drone” will fly to the right, whether it is turned towards you with the front or back).
Watch Me: In this mode the Q500 4k camera is aimed all the time at the pilot, ie to the remote controller ST10. Therefore, if you want to move the drone to the left or right, the Q500 camera will remain positioned towards the pilot.
Follow Me: In this mode the drone follows the control equipment (ST10 controller), the user is in the center of the frame. The Yuneec Q500 will follow you wherever you go.
Angle Mode: This is the mode for more advanced users with standard control and no flight range restrictions. When operating the drone, the Q500 will move in the direction where the control stick is pushed. Angle mode is suitable for advanced users.
Return to Home: In this mode the Yuneec Q500 4k will returns to its starting position, ie to the pilot that is holding the ST10 remote controller. It will land automatically right next to the pilot.
About Yuneec Q500 Software
To implement quad control, you do not need to download and install additional software. The Yuneec Q500 runs on Android, and its software and firmware can be updated via PC using a special system of firmware cables.
What Type Of Motors Does Yuneec Q500 4K Have?
Yuneec Q500 is equipped with brushless electric motors. These motors are proprietary to Yuneec International. The maximum power is 200W, and the size of the starter element is 22 × 13mm. The high power of these motors allows you to lift into the air a fully loaded gadget weighing up to 1.7 kilograms. These are impressive indicators for multicopters of this segment.
About ST10 Controller Of Yuneec Typhoon Q500
The Yuneec Typhoon 4K comes with a unique remote controller (ST10) that is suited for FPV and it is transmitter and receiver in one. The ST10 radio control has a 5.8 GHz module which allows video reception in real-time on a 5.5” LCD touchscreen. Despite its imposing dimensions (25 x 19 x 7 cm), the radio control is surprisingly light to grip, which allows for lively and space-saving control. With Yuneec radio controller, you don’t need a smartphone or tablet since the return screen is integrated into the controller!
The monitor integrated in the remote control is relatively small, but the image is very sharp and it haves a good ISO and shutter speed. According to the specifications, the tandem provides reliable transmission of the video stream at a distance of up to 800m. FPV flight becomes problematic in bright sunlight, since the integrated FPV monitor is not very bright and sunlight quickly dazzles / is reflected in it. A shield/sun visor (as is often used with external FPV monitors) is also not possible here, as this would limit the manageability and operability of the remote control.
Yuneec Typhoon ST10 Firmware Updates
The Yuneec Q500 4K provides regular firmware updates and manual which are available at the following link: Yuneec Q500 4K & ST10 Firmware Updates
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 Parts
If you need Yuneec Q500 4K spare parts, they are very simple and easy to find on Amazon. Yuneec Q500 Parts
Typhoon Q500 4K: ST10 Controller Reveiw
The Yuneec Q500 ST10 controller is a receiver and remote control in one. This unique controller give the full control over the Typhoon and CG03 gimbal camera during the flight. It comes with 5.5 inch touchscreen that allows the drone pilot to track real-time videos.
The ST10 controller is quite massive from the side. Also, this controller is implemented on the basis of the Android OS, which to some extent reduced the cost of the software part of the device. The display shows the entire flight telemetry, as well as the video signal from the main camera. Additionally, the transmitter has a home button and a convenient speed controller. The ST10 controller can transmit the signal range in a radius of 800 meters. It have white balance and it includes ISO and shutter speed.
Typhoon ST10 Controller
Yuneec – ST10 Controller Specifications
- Model: ST10 +
- Operating System: Android ™
- Number of channels: 10
- Radio Transmission Range: FCC Standard – up to 2,624 feet (800 meters)
- Video Receiver: Built-in 5.8GHz
- Display: LCD Capacitive Multi-touch 5.5 inches
- LCD Resolution: 854 × 480 p
- Flight Telemetry: yes
- Tactile (vibrational) and Sound Feedback: yes
- Battery (Capacity):6V/5200mAh Built in LiPo 18.72Wh
- Camera Settings: ISO, FPS, White balance
Typhoon Q500 4K: CGO3 Camera Review
The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 CGO3 camera has 12MP built on a 1/2.3-inch CMOS matrix. Lens: 14mm f/2.8 – no distortion with 115° viewing angle. The camera is integrated in a 3-axis mechanical suspension. The current model has a 3D gimbal (compensating movements in all three dimensions) and the possibility of tilting the camera downwards in flight using remote control (tilt/pitch). The image is transmitted live to the remote control (Ground Station ST10) or a 5.8 Ghz Wifi-compatible iOS or Android device with the corresponding free Typhoon app installed.
Images and videos are saved in full resolution on the microSD card in the gimbal. Thanks to its design and its weight, the image stabilization is excellent, even with strong wind. However, photography and video professionals will not be won over by this model given the absence of advanced settings for the sensor (ISO, contrast, white balance, etc.).
Yuneec Typhoon CGO3 Camera Specifications
- Type: CGO3
- Photo Resolution: 12MP
- Weight: 195g
- Matrix: 1/2.3-inch CMOS
- Gimbal accuracy: ± 0.02 °
- Lens: 14mm f/2.8 – no distortion
- Focus System: Aerial Optimized Fixed Focus
- Field of View: 115 °
- White Balance: Auto or Manual
- Working voltage: 12V
- Working temperature: 0 °C -50 °C
- Storage Temperature: -20 °C – 60 °C
- Rotation angle: Vertical: between -90 ° and 0 ° Horizontal: between 0° and 360 °
- Microphone: yes
- Dimensions of Gimbal/Camera: 115 x 135 x 74 mm
- Memory: MicroSD Class 10 (Capacity from 4 GB to 128 GB size)
Typhoon CGO3 Video Specifications
- Video resolution: FullHD 1080p at 24/30/50/60/120 fps
- Video Stream Frequency Range:8GHz
- White Balance: Auto or Manual
Typhoon CGO3 Camera Settings
If you want to make certain changes to your CGO3 camera, you need to change certain parameters manually. Here is a video that will show you all the examples to adjust the best camera settings.
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Video Quality
The Typhoon Q500 provides 4K video footage with excellent CGO3 built-in camera. The tandem provides high-quality stable aerial photography in video recording modes: 4K at 30 fps; 2.7K at 30 fps ; 2.5K at 30 fps; 1080P at 24/25/30/48/50/60/120 fps. The recorded material is stored on an external media format microSD with a capacity of 2 – 128 GB (16 GB included). It should also be noted that the stability of the Q500 4K drone camera is superb. Here you can see the quality footage that Typhoon Q500 record during the flight.
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Price & The Box
The Typhoon Q500 4K drone is affordable drone that costs around $400, and offers really great features. When buying this model, you will get a lot of additional parts and extra gear in the box. The price is very affordable. Listed below are all the parts that comes bundled with the Yuneec Q500 model.
The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Quadcopter comes in basic package that includes the below items;
- Quadcopter Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K
- CGO3 – 4K Gimbal-Camera
- ST10 + RC ground station with 2.4GHz frequency, 5.5./5.8G
- Hand-held stabilizer for shooting from the ground CGO-Steady-Grip
- 2x LiPo batteries, three-unit type 3S, 5400 mA / h, 11.1V, 59.9Wh
- 4 bearing rotor parts (2 “A” + 2 “B”) + a pair of spare rotors (“A” + “B”)
- 220V power supply
- Charging adapter with a set of cable products for connecting the battery to the charger
- Charger for ground control station ST10 +
- USB kit for updating the firmware of the device and camera
- A filter that is pre-installed on the camcorder CGO3-UV Filter
- 16GB SD memory card with uploaded recommendations and a quick start guide
- Carrying case for suspension
- Suspension strap for RC ground station
- Sun visor on suction cups for DPU
- Tool (tweezers + installation wrench for supporting screw elements)
- Transportation Case on Wheels for Multicopter Typhoon 4K
- A set of printed instructions (instructions for the camera, StadyGrip-gimbal, LED control card)
Yuneec Q500 4K Value For Money & Guarantee
The price of Yuneec Q500 quadcopter amounts to approximately $400, depending on the KIT that you will opt for. Together in the package you get spare parts and components, depending on the KIT. Extra parts can also be purchased separately, and the price varies depending on where you buy them. The warranty should be included in the price, but it also depends on the store where you bought it.
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Full Review
This drone impresses with its design, the quality of its on-board camera and its ease of use. Despite some slowness due to its weight, it is very pleasant to fly and very stable in flight, which is perfect for taking quality photos and videos. This is a super quadcopter, which offers really good characteristics for its price! Its weight is in my opinion an asset which makes it super stable even outdoors with a strong wind. This can be a good investment for those who are looking for a drone with semi-professional characteristics, with a low price. 4K video footage is excellent – even if it’s not 60 fps – and the ability to switch effortlessly to 1080p slow-motion capture allows even the most inexperienced flyer to record incredible footage.
Yuneec Q500 4K Features
Common features for all released modifications:
- Integrated GPS and GLONASS spatial positioning systems
- Home return function
- Hang in the air at a given point
- Intelligent Follow Me Software Feature
- High-capacity battery in the amount of 2 pieces
- Options manual, ground suspension CGO SteadyGrip
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Design & Handling
Yuneec decided to use two basic colors for this drone: black and white, which go pretty well. The drone is also available in gray for the 4K version. The structure is well made despite its “plastic” side, but still remains very robust. The Typhoon Q500 is certainly one of the most successful drones in terms of ergonomics, with a fashionable aesthetic, a sporty aspect, which gives it the look of a racing beast.
The structure is made in the form of an H, unlike the X-shaped models that we are used seeing in competition. A shape that would allow a more controlled landing according to the Chinese manufacturer. The hull hides well the 1.7 kg of the beast: 184 grams for the camera, 401 grams for the battery, and 22.6 grams per propeller , as well as other components such as the landing gear, which raises the drone 16 cm.
How to Prepare Typhoon Q500 For The Flight?
The manufacturers took good care of preparing the pilot for the first start and added detailed instructions, not only in printed but also in digital and video format. All instructions are included in the delivery package of the drone and to the smallest details describe all the main and related nuances of preparation.
How to Transport Typhoon Q500?
To transport this model, the manufacturer has provided a special case on wheels – it is quite mobile and convenient to operate. The Q500 drone is placed in it disassembled, with disassembled screws.
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K: Battery & Charging
This model comes with 2x 5400mAh batteries, where each one is offering approximately 20 to 25 minutes of flight time, depending on the activities you are engaged in – using standalone modes will drain the battery faster than just controlling it manually, for example. The battery has to be physically removed from the back of the drone in order to charge it, and the charging time is around two hours, which means having two batteries in the most expensive package. The device is charged up to 2 hours from a standard home network of 220V.
Technical Data and Details
- Dimensions: 565 x 420 x 410 mm
- Flight time: up to 25 min
- Height: 24 cm
- Width: 42 cm
- Screw diameter: 330 mm
- Propellers / motor: 33 cm in diameter
- Weight without battery and charge load: 1.13 kg
- Battery: 5400 mAh 3S 11.1 V LiPo (included)
- 3S charger: 11.1V LiPo DC, smart charger with AC adapter (included)
- Transmitter: 10 channels, 2.4 GHz with video return 5, 5 GHz (included)
- 3 flight modes: smart, angle and home settings
- Default maximum flight height:122 meters approximately
- Maximum speed of descent: 7.2 km/h
- Maximum flight speed: 28 km/h
- Maximum rotation speed: 65 °/s
- Maximum angle: 35 °
- Maximum rate of climb in smart mode and angle: 3 m/s
- Maximum rate of descent in smart mode and angle: 2 m/s
- Radio frequency: 2.4 GHz
- Takeoff weight with battery and CGO2: 700 grams
Yuneec Q500 4K: Similar Models & Main Competitors
1. DJI Phantom 3
Quadrocopter DJI Phantom 3 takes a leading position in its segment by right and this drone can match and be a rival to the Typhoon Q500. The manufacturer subtly approached a potential buyer and offered three options for drones. In each, he laid down opportunities that will be relevant for both the beginner and the advanced pilot, who seeks to get the most out of owning the P3.
2. X-Star Premium
Autel Robotics is an American company specializing in the development and subsequent production of high-tech UAV products. This X-Star drone is the real match for the Typhoon Q500. Autel Robotics focuses on transforming complex technologies into simple solutions that are subsequently implemented in residential drones with an emphasis on photo and video. It is very important for the company what every consumer thinks about their product and therefore is very scrupulous about quality.
The Pros and Cons Of Typhoon Q500 4K
The Typhoon Q500 4K is positioned on the market as an alternative to DJI and Parrot quadcopters. It is a complete drone, which will give you access to 4K for a really affordable price! Lets see the main beneftis of this drone:
- Original, futuristic quad design
- High performance
- 4K camera, Slow Motion in 1080p
- Autopilot modes
- Excellent Yuneec radio control!
- Possibility of full FPV first-person flights
- Real-time video reception with LCD return screen
- Image stability in flight.
- Autonomy: approx 25 minutes.
- Sold with a transport case
- Size and weight. Not very practical for transport!
- Some users find plastic “cheap” on this drone.
- The camera offers few settings and is rather limited.
- Some chromatic aberrations on the photos
- The basket tends to respond slowly to commands.
- Battery charging time