U.S. Marine Corps soldiers have a brand new kind of weapon to defend in opposition to enemy unmanned aerial methods (UAS). Drones are more and more utilized by enemy forces for intelligence-gathering on U.S. and allied bases and have additionally been weaponized. The Dronebuster is a hand-held jammer that may pressure a UAS to descend or to return to its operator. If a drone is positively recognized, a Marine standing on submit can level the gadget on the drone and eradicate it as a risk.
The Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response – Central Command introduced that U.S. Marines have obtained latest handheld Dronebuster gadgets which might be designed to detect and deter enemy drones. The Marines participated in Counter-Unmanned Aircraft System (cUAS) coaching to make use of the brand new tools within the United States Central Command space of operations, May 2021. The handheld methods permit the Marines to stay expeditionary and able to transfer at a second’s discover.
The Dronebuster is produced by Flex Force, based mostly in Portland, Oregon, and is permitted for official buy by the U.S. Department of Defense. It has additionally been deployed by regulation enforcement businesses throughout the nation.
- Size: 21”L s 10.5”H x 6.5”W (53cm x 27 cm x 16 cm)
- Weight: 4.9 lbs.
- Batteries: Type BB-2847A/U (BT-70747) Li-Ion rechargeable battery.
- Endurance: 3 hrs. steady jamming, 10 hrs. in RF detection mode
- Continuous Operation: 12 VDC enter energy
- Effective vary: Varies based mostly on vary from drone to controller. Typical vary is 300% of distance from drone to controller
- Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM)-band Jamming Frequencies: Effective in opposition to all ISM bands being utilized by industrial drones.
- GPS Jamming Frequencies: Effective in opposition to GPS frequencies. Utilizes formed beam to attenuate inadvertent GPS disruption.
- Applicability: The Dronebuster is efficient in opposition to all industrial class I and II UAS utilizing ISM and GPS frequencies for communications. In addition, the Dronebuster is efficient in opposition to a spread of customized constructed and modified class I and II UAS.
Upwards of 700 Dronebuster methods have been fielded with army and regulation enforcement clients across the globe, and been confirmed to be extremely efficient in opposition to modified and industrial off-the-shelf (COTS) drones. The Dronebuster Block 3, and Dronebuster Block 3B have been designed to interrupt the management of the drone by overwhelming the management frequency. This causes the drone to both cease and hover, or return to the operator, relying on the mannequin of drone. The drone operator has no management of the drone whereas the command hyperlink is being overwhelmed with RF power.
In addition, the Dronebuster may overwhelm the GPS / GNSS sign inflicting the drone to hover, land, or fall out of the sky. Both the Dronebuster Block 3 and Dronebuster Block 3B run on mil-spec batteries or linked energy, and require solely minimal coaching prior to make use of.
Both the Dronebuster Block 3, and the Dronebuster Block 3B could be ordered in configurations for built-in methods or for stand-alone man-portable use. The capability of the Dronebuster household of merchandise for use as a part of an built-in C-sUAS system or as stand-alone mitigation methods offers Dronebuster customers, C-sUAS methods integrators, and unique tools producers with the flexibleness wanted to fulfill their particular mission necessities.
“As we face an ever-evolving enemy, it is very important have the ability to mitigate the risk on the lowest doable stage,” stated Captain Christopher Syrowik, a Forward Air Controller assigned to 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines. “Putting the drone buster into the palms of a Lance Corporal permits him to have a big affect whereas remaining cell and deadly.”