The particular fisheye effect (barrel distortion) is a standard problem with drone digital photography because the lens’s field of view is definitely wider than the size of your image sensor. Therefore , eliminating fisheye effect in aerial photography isn’t too complex if you have the suitable type of software accessible.
This article will explain to you how to remove barrel or clip distortion from your existing aerial photos using 5 different software programs. To make stuff easier for you we now have also put a couple of informative videos which should expand on your current knowledge of aerial pictures and filming.
How To Remove Fisheye Effect From Drone Photos?
So How To get rid of Fisheye Effect Through Drone Photos? To remove fisheye effect (Barrel distortion) from your drone photos you need to use a right software package and make the essential corrections to the authentic images. The most popular software are Adobe Lightroom, GoPro Dojo, PTLens, Gimp, plus Adobe After Effects.
On what we will touch also in this article regarding fisheye modification are applications through Adobe After Effects, Lightroom, Photoshop, and PTLens. By this software programs you will get even better photos with your drone. You can use this article as an information for removing clip or barrel distortion from your own pictures, or just take in some new information about what it takes to be an aerial photographer or videographer!
Also, in case you are interested to find more about camera filters, you can read Best Drone Camera Filter systems For Landscape Pictures. It can help you to choose the best filter systems, so you will get the best aerial photos out of your drone.
What Is Barrel Distortion (Fisheye Effect)?
Barrel Distortion (Fisheye Effect) is a geometric distortion where directly lines appear to be curled away from the center of the image. This is because the particular magnification is higher at the center from the lens than in the edges. Most lenses along with barrel distortion are usually wider angle lens that press an extremely wide scene on to a narrower sensor or piece of movie. The particular pinnacle of barrel distortion is a fisheye lens , which sacrifices rectilinear projection in favor of a broader field of watch achieved by spherical projection.
This type of distortion can be annoying sometimes to professional photographers. The fisheye lens is not often seen as an important tool among professional landscape plus urban photographers. Individuals offten don’ testosterone levels see much more inside them than a wide-angle impact with specific bias.
It is also important to remember that the amount of contortion can vary, which depends upon a camera to subject distance . One of the cameras that drones use, plus which is very popular for wide-angle look and fisheye effect will be the GoPro model which is used for both aerial photography and video use.
In the picture below you can see how this fisheye bias looks like, and how in some instances this can help drones to capture great video footage.
five Ways To Remove Fisheye Effect From Aerial Photos
Below we will introduce you to the softwares that are available in the market with which you can make various corrections plus remove the fisheye effect from your images. Some of the applications that are avaible for this are Adobe New world, Adobe Lightroom, GoPro Studio, Gimp, PTLens, and Adobe Photoshop.
We will also attach photos below so you can see from quality what it looks like after and before processing. You will notice how some drones even with fisheye effect can make quality I lovely photos.
1) Using Adobe Lightroom Software For Fisheye Correction
Adobe Lightroom Software enables you to remove any fisheye correction very easily out of your drone photos. With all the attached photos below, this took less than a minute to remove barrel distortion , which displays exceptional simplicity. Fantastic software comes with a great deal of features, so you can use it for many things, not only for fisheye correction. While this software is not really free , for individuals who practice and like photography, it is certainly great value for money.
By using Adobe Lightroom, it is simple to remove the fisheye impact from your photos. All you have to do is to import your photos that have barrel distortion plus follow these steps;
- Tap on “Develop”.
- Scroll down and find the particular “Lens Correction”.
- Click on “Basic”, choose “Enable Profile Correction” and “Remove Chromatic Aberration” and put a check on them.
- Today tap on “Profile”, and here you will find digital camera model and the barrel distortion correction which will be automatic if you have GoPro camera model.
- After you finish, click on “Done”.
Keep in mind that some photos can much easier remove the fisheye effect compared to others. Here you will find the Adobe Lightroom fisheye correction tutorial will guide you on how to remove that will barrel effect from your photos by using their application.
first example on how to remove the fisheye effect by using Adobe Lightroom Software program.
2nd example on how you can remove barrel or clip distortion from your rhyme photos by using Adobe Lightroom software.
2) Using GoPro Studio For Fisheye Effect Removal
Another great way to remove the barrel contortion and make the zoom lens adjustment is by using GoPro CineForm file, by giving it a smaller FOV. The process may be the following;
- Import the file & Convert this. Select the certain file you want and faucet on “Advanced Settings”. Keep in mind that the file must be inside the GoPro camera.
- When you are in advanced settings, find the “Remove Fisheye” option and click on “OK”.
- At this point add the document to the Conversion list and convert this. By this, the particular fisheye effect is going to be removed.
Below you will be able to find out an interesting video that will explain to you how to use GoPro to remove the fisheye effect from your pictures.
Did you know that GoPro comes with a lot of programs that are able to edit your photos? GoPro most recent Studio editor is known as GoPro Fusion Studio and can do a lot of interesting things such as;
- Easy and fast way to export video clip material directly from GoPro Fusion camera
- Easily adjust any kind of color using fine-tune ore presets manually.
- Quickly provide and stitch circular content.
- Switch pictures by using Fisheye, Little Planet or any type of other effect.
- Possibility to personalize audio with 360 sound.
- Capability to add gimbal stabilization to smooth out the particular footage.
- By using Export Wizard you are able to optimize your content to suit workflow.
- Likelihood to sync along with Adobe, After Effects plus Premiere.
For those who want to know read more about it, you can read GoPro Fusion Studio here.
3) Using PTLens Software program For Fisheye Distortion Removal
PTLens Software is a great way if you need to remove fisheye distortion from your photos. This particular super and easy program is providing a lot of features, tools and does an excellent job in fixing fisheye lens bias. This app is very flexible and suitable for almost all Windows, and in addition it comes in a MAC PC version.
A person don’t need to be a specialist to remove the fisheye effect by using PTLens software. Just pick the fisheye button plus choose the sliders pertaining to distortion. Another great issue about PTLens software is that it can be free . Here is one great example of how using PTLens software you can remove barrel distortion.
4) Using Gimp Software For Lens Fisheye Correction
By using the Gimp Software, you may also remove the fisheye impact from your photos in a few simple steps. With this software you are able to move distortion filter and adjust your photos. Keep in mind that some photos need to be cropped to get the best results.
It is really worth noting that of all these softwares, this is perhaps the hardest to use , however it does not reduce the quality and functionality. Great thing about Gimp is the fact that is free . Here we will guide you how to use GIMP 2 . nine. 6 version to eliminate the lens fisheye effect.
- Inside the GIMP, press and hold “CTRL-O”, then pick the image you want to correct.
- In the menu pub tap on “Filters”, click on “Distorts”, and confirm it with “Lens Distortion” within the drop-down list which will open.
- Faucet on “Preview” check box to see the critique of the adjustment you have make before the modification is done.
- Faucet on the “Main” slider so you can see the results in the preview windowpane. You must know that the amount of correction will depend on severity of the distortion that you have on your photo. That’s why you have the survey window to see the outcomes before you finish.
- Just drag and tap on the “Edge” slider to the best or left, which depends on the distortion that is around the edges of the photo. Don’t forget to utilize the preview home window so you can determine the quantity of adjustment you need.
- When you are satisfied with the end result, click “ OK” and apply the particular correction to your picture.
- Now just choose the Crop tool from the Toolbox, plus drag it over your cursor over the part of the image in which the distortion is. To apply the crop, just double-click on the image and save the outcomes.
The following procedure above is perfect for removing the clip or barrel distortion for the GIMP 2 . 9. six version software. Every version can be various, so you need to keep close track of it. On the reddit or various other forums you can also request help if you get lost in the process.
Below you can see the before and after image where the GIMP Software was used to fix lens fisheye distortion.
5) Using Adobe New world For Fisheye Impact Correction
GoPro cameras furthermore create barrel distortion that can affect the image quality. Therefore , here you can check how to correct that problem using the great Adobe After Effect software. Unless you have it on your PC or Mac installed, you will find here the latest edition of Adobe After Effects.
For that end, we have put a great tutorial where you can find almost everything that is associated with lens distortion and the way to remove it from your photos by using Adobe Photoshop.
Many people have the problem with fisheye effect on their photos and they want to remove it. In this article we now have explained to you how to repair that problem using the 5 simple softwares that are available on the market. A few of these software are totally free while some need to be bought, but what they possess in common is their particular ease of use. So later on you don’t have to worry about whether or not you had a fisheye effect on your pictures. I hope this article has helped you and you will enjoy taking brand new aerial photos along with your drone.