The pure magnificence and variety of Greece are certain to astound you. From rugged mountains to inexperienced valleys, pristine seashores with clear waters, and quiet lakes, Greece has all of it. If you’re going on trip to Greece, you’ll get no scarcity of gorgeous photos and pictures out of your drone. But the query is, is it authorized to carry a drone to Greece?
You are allowed to carry a drone to Greece. However, earlier than you possibly can fly your drone in Greece, it’s essential to register as a drone operator with the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority (HCAA), the drone regulatory company within the nation. You should additionally submit an Authorization Request for every flight.
There’s a distinction between industrial and leisure drones in Greek legal guidelines in keeping with the burden of drones, their function, and the place they’re flown figuring out the class a drone belongs to.
The company that’s answerable for the regulation of drones in Greece is the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority (HCAA) (link). And the laws of the HCAA are derived from that of the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) since Greece is a member of the European Union (EU).
All member international locations of the EU have adopted the EASA pointers in a bid to create a very harmonized drone market on the continent. While Greece principally makes use of EASA widespread drone guidelines, the nation has its personal drone-specific legal guidelines which we’ll talk about on this article.
Can you carry a drone to Greece?
Yes, you possibly can carry a drone to Greece. All it’s important to do to get your drone into Greece is to correctly pack it and comply with any legal guidelines relating to drones your airline might have. You’ll be cleared at customs together with your drone in your baggage with none downside. Sounds nice, proper?
So, after getting your drone into Greece, we all know you’re wanting to let it out to the sky and seize photographs and movies to your coronary heart’s content material. But there are laws relating to flying drones in Greece and it’s vital you’re conscious of those laws.
General drone legal guidelines in Greece
Before you possibly can fly a drone in Greece, you should be authorized by the HCAA to fly a drone in Greece. Don’t fret, getting approval is fairly simple as all it’s important to do is register with the HCAA. More on this in only a bit.
After you’ve been authorized to fly, it’s important to comply with different EASA/HCAA laws that are designed for the security of the general public and your self. Such laws embrace:
- The drone should not be flown at a top greater than 400 toes above floor degree.
- You are prohibited from flying your drone close to airports and heliports. The purpose for that is apparent because the HCAA doesn’t need your drone interfering with the operations of manned plane.
- Your drone should be inside your line of sight always. This permits you to see what’s taking place together with your drone and fly correctly.
- You are solely to fly your drone throughout sunlight hours. Flying at night time requires particular approval.
- You should not fly your drone over individuals or populated areas similar to streets and parking heaps. This is to forestall harm to individuals ought to your drone crash into them or fall from the sky.
- You are prohibited from flying your drone in opposed climate situations similar to heavy rain, heavy wind, and so forth.
- You should be reachable by cellphone at the least half-hour earlier than you are taking off. If attainable, it’s most popular you stay reachable by cellphone all through the flight.
- If you intend to fly in a number of areas, it’s important to land your drone first after which transfer to a brand new location.
Different classes of drone flights in Greece
Drone flights in Greece can fall into any of the three classes: Open class, particular class, and licensed class.
Open class flights are leisure flights and don’t require prior authorization by the HCAA or a declaration by the drone operator. Drones for use for open class flights should have a complete takeoff mass of lower than 55 lbs (25 kg). Also, the drone shouldn’t exceed a most altitude of 400 ft (120m), and should stay within the operator’s line of sight always.
Special class flights have a reasonable degree of threat and require that authorization be granted by the HCAA earlier than the operation. HCAA will assess the operational threat of a specific particular class flight and can solely approve such flights solely after particular situations have been met and the operator declaration is deemed adequate.
Certified Category: The HCAA categorizes drones which can be giant or heavy or inherently pose a excessive degree of threat on this class and requires that the distant pilot and drone be licensed because of the inherent risks of this class.
How to register as a drone pilot or operator in Greece?
As per the European Regulation (EU) 2019/947 (link), all drone operators should register with the HCAA, except they’re already registered in one other EU nation. The registration right here is for the drone operators and never the drone itself. The purpose for that is that the regulatory company desires to know the identification of the pilot controlling the drone to make them accountable for the operations of the drone.
Since you’ll be the one flying your drone, you’re the operator of your drone and are required by Greece legal guidelines to register your drone with the suitable company.
As a part of the open class, drone pilots that meet the next necessities should register with the HCAA:
- If your drone has a mass of .55 lbs (250 g) or extra.
- If your drone weighs lower than .55 lbs (250 g) however is able to working at speeds exceeding 55 mph (90 km/h).
- If your drone is provided with a microphone or digital camera and isn’t categorized as a toy.
Some drones are categorized are ‘toys’ if the producer designed such drones for children less than 14. There are additionally different security necessities such a drone should meet to be categorized as a drone toy.
If you’re touring to Greece from a non-EU nation and haven’t flown a drone earlier than in any EU nation, it’s essential to register as an OPERATOR earlier than you possibly can fly your drone in Greece. You can register with the HCAA by sending an e mail to [email protected]. For extra details about registering as a non-EU resident, see this document from the HCAA.
Upon profitable registration, the HCAA provides you with a singular registration quantity that it’s important to connect to your drone. If you’ve a number of drones, it’s essential to connect the identical quantity to each considered one of them. And it’s essential to obey all HCAA laws when flying your drone.
If you’ve operated a drone in one other EU nation earlier than, then you definately don’t should register. This is as a result of all EU international locations have the identical drone laws and drone registration in a single EU nation is legitimate in different EU international locations. As we stated earlier, the explanation for that is to create a very harmonized drone market within the continent.
Procedure for acquiring your Flight Authorization from HCAA
Once you’ve registered as a drone operator, if you’re planning to conduct a flight that may have your drone going greater than 55 yards (50m) from you because the operator, it’s essential to submit a Flight Authorization Request to the HCAA for every flight. Follow the next steps to acquire your flight authorization from the HCAA:
- You should fill, signal and e-mail the Authorization Request for UAS (drone) flights type to HCAA: [email protected]. You’ll discover the authorization request type on the HCAA website.
- The HCAA might ask for added data similar to your pilot certificates or UAS Registration Number.
- Should the HCAA approve your request, they are going to inform you of any extra restrictions chances are you’ll have to adjust to to make your flight safer.
- If the HCAA doesn’t approve your request or your approval doesn’t arrive on time, it’s essential to cancel your flight plans in any other case, you’ll be flying your drone illegally.
- Should the HCAA approve your request, it’s important to go to the closest police station or native municipality in your flight space. For your comfort, go to whichever is closest to you and inform them of your authorized drone flight. You could also be requested to indicate some identification like a passport or driver’s license to verify your identification.
- Fly safely by following all flight guidelines by the HCAA. Also, you must have your cellular phone on in case the police or ATC items wish to contact you.
Knowing drone legal guidelines in international locations you’re visiting
Ignorance isn’t an excuse and it’s vital you already know the legal guidelines of any overseas nation you’re visiting. This consists of any exercise or recreation you propose to take part in when you find yourself within the nation.
While this text is about drone legal guidelines in Greece, we’ll be publishing extra articles about drone legal guidelines in different international locations. And the concept is to organize you in your journey and make sure you don’t get into any hassle with the authorities. So beneath are steps about what to do when aspiring to journey to a different nation with a drone.
- Do your analysis. The data is on the web for the taking. Go on-line and search in regards to the newest or present drone legal guidelines in any nation you’re visiting. The emphasis right here is on “present” since drone legal guidelines are rapidly evolving and it’s in your greatest curiosity to search out the newest legal guidelines.
- Drill down and discover out if laws are the identical throughout the county or range by area. Know the particular legal guidelines that apply to the area you’ll be staying in.
- Plan your journey and actions within the nation based mostly on the outcomes of your analysis.