Drone batteries can be extremely expensive and they can cause a lot of damage if not stored properly. Simply by storing your batteries properly, you can prolong the battery life, and you can make it safer for everyone who are around you.
So what’ s the best way to store your LiPo drone battery? The best way to store your LiPo drone battery is at the recommended battery charge storage level, that is around 60%. Make sure you store the battery in an easy to reach, secure and dry location that is at space temperature at all times. Never ever store a drone battery in a popular car, or close to flammable objects.
There are some various other very important points you need to know on how to store your batteries the right way. So keep reading!
If you shop your battery the right way, you’ ll prevent:
- Damaging your battery. Damage to your battery pack will obviously reduce the life span of your battery.
- Putting other people in danger in your house, or while traveling.
Make sure you take the particular recommended battery storage tips below. It’ s in the greatest interest of your self and others.
Planning A LiPo Drone Battery For Storage space
Before storing your battery, there are some things you need to do to get ready your battery.
After traveling your drone the past time before storage, make sure you charge your battery back up to the recommended storage level, that is about 60%.
If your battery pack level is still more than 60% after you’ ve finished along with your last flight , don’ t worry. Your battery needs to be automatically programmed to discharge down to the particular recommended storage degree over a set variety of days. DJI fails to 10 days, however , this could be changed in the PROCEED app.
If you’ lso are planning to store your battery for only a short period, for example , when you’ re travelling, then let your LiPo drone battery power discharge to around 60 per cent to 80%.
However , if you know your own battery is going to be kept for a long period of time, more than 10 days to ninety days, then discharge your own battery to around 40% to 60%.
A few tricks for long term storage:
- Re-check your battery pack charge levels at least one time per month. If it falls beneath 40% then cost it back up again to avoid damage.
- Avoid keeping your batteries unused for more than 3 months. This could cause damage.
TAKE NOTE: The above-recommended battery cost storage levels may change depending on the manufacturer of the drone. Always double-check with your manufacturer.
Storing Batteries in your own home
If you’ re storing your own battery at home then your biggest risk right here is the safety of your family members, and of course your belongings at home. The last thing you want to do is burn straight down your house. Your wife won’ t be as well happy!
- Check the electric battery level monthly. If you’ re going to end up being storing your battery power long term, make sure you check your battery level monthly. If your battery level has dropped beneath 40%, then charge it back up.
- Store them outside. If it’ s at all feasible, the best place to shop your drone electric batteries out of harm’ h way would be to store them outside in your shed or garage. However , this obviously isn’ t continually possible. But there are other measures you can take to ensure you keep everyone secure.
- Make sure that if the drone battery begins to smoke cigarettes and burn that it’ s effortlessly noticeable. This will give you an earlier warning so that you can respond on it and get the battery out of the house. Think about if you stored the particular battery somewhere out of sight, like in an attic. Chances are that by the time you noticed signs of a good unstable LiPo drone battery it would be too late.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher ready at home . If the battery power does catch alight then at least you have the tools to put the particular fire out rapidly. Also, make sure your family members is trained up on how to use a fire extinguisher just in case something happens when you are not at home.
- Shop your battery within a fireproof charging secure or bag . Most of these bags are designed to contain the flames and stop toxic smoke from filling the house.
- Shop your battery within a cool area that’ s well ventilated and room temperature. By no means store it anyplace hot like a car or a tool lose etc .
- Store your batteries away from extremely flammable items such as cleansing items, gasoline containers, gas lines/bottles, and even near a large heap of newspapers. I believe this is pretty self-explanatory, but just put some thought directly into where you store them. If the battery does catch alight you want to be able to control the particular fire as quickly as possible.
- Store them far away through valuable personal belongings. When something does fail you want the damage to be a cheap as possible. It is a very simple way to keep it from becoming pricey.
Keeping Batteries For Travelling
Storing LiPo batteries for journeying is a bit more challenging and takes a little more planning. In this area, I’ ll suppose you’ re journeying abroad on an international flight, however , keep in mind that these travel storage space tips can be placed on any forms of vacation.
While experiencing the airport your own drone and batteries will more than likely be checked by a TSA real estate agent. So make sure they are loaded as safety as you possibly can to avoid getting flagged down.
Here are some best ways to pack your batteries:
- Before the flight, make sure that your batteries are discharged down to storage amounts. Which for most drones would be around 60%.
- According to FAA flight rules, your batteries need to be stored safely to stop them from becoming damaged which may lead them to burn up. So in short here, please don’ t try and journey with your batteries flopping around. Store all of them neatly in a drone travel case, or if you have a camera bag, you can also store them in the battery sleeve.
- For extra safety, you may also tape up the gold plates to avoid all of them from short-circuiting.
A little extra tips for traveling with drone batteries through an airport:
- Make sure you print TSA’ s drone battery regulations. There are a lot of TSA agents that don’ t know their own laws upon drones. So if you get it printed, they can’ t argue together with you.
- Package your batteries in a way that makes it quick and easy to remove. You’ ll most likely have to take them away often to show various agents, so possess the ways to access.
- Phone your own airline to request if they have any other drone policies. Just to make certain. Different airlines release new drone laws all the time.
- Never keep the batteries unoccupied.
If you’ lso are planning to travel along with your drone on an air, I highly recommend a person read our post that summarizes things need to know when vacationing with a drone.
Battery Storage Ranges for the DJI
If you’ lso are wondering what your drones battery storage level is, have a look at the image below which i pulled from MavicHelp. The red box shows what your batter level should be during storage.
This table is for the DJI nevertheless I’ ve heard that most LiPo drone batteries need to be saved at similar amounts. However , if you want to end up being on the safe aspect, make sure you contact your own drones manufacturer and inquire them.
Electric battery Storage Accessories
Whether or not you’ re storing batteries to travel overseas, travel your car or even if you’ lso are planning on staying at home, you will encounteer some accessories available that can make storage space a lot safer.
- Getting bags are generally made from flame-resistant material. Generally, these are better for travelling because they are a lot smaller and lighter than the charging safe below. Charging bags good because they reduce the risk of LIPO fires during traveling. I actually highly recommend using these particularly if you’ re going on long flights overseas.
- Getting safes are another option especially if you’ re looking to store your drone electric battery at home. They might be much more expensive, around $60, however they could save you thousands of dollars. They are designed to end toxic smoke and to be fireproof. Therefore even if your battery pack explodes at home whilst no one is there, your home and personal belongings it’s still protected.